Genex Power: Kidston Stage 2
250MW pumped storage hydro project, Kidston (near Georgetown), 270kms north west of Townsville.
The NAIF indicative term sheet was issued in June 2018 which demonstrated the bankability of the project to potential counterparties.
Concessions offered in NAIF Investment Decision helped overcome disadvantages due to Project’s remote location being:
- higher construction costs,
- challenges recruiting and accommodating labour force,
- significant cost impost of the new transmission line/grid connection, and
- relatively high transmission losses due to distance from current energy load.
- Actively seeking to maximise job opportunities for the local Ewamian people and Indigenous businesses
- The project will provide funding for a local Indigenous owned tourist facility
* Financial assistance is subject to satisfaction of conditions precedent including Qld Government’s consideration and agreement for approved funds to be advanced.
Economic Impact and Public Benefit, including
- Energy storage facilities have a significant role to play in Australia’s transition to a low emissions, low cost energy future
- Wholesale market energy cost savings
- Emission savings
- Storage capacity and ‘dispatchability’ of energy to enhance network reliability