Northern Territory Airports – Investment Decision
Infrastructure construction and upgrades for Darwin, Tennant Creek and Alice Springs Airports.
- construction of a freight, cold storage and an export/import hub at Darwin International Airport (DIA);
- construction of solar arrays at Alice Springs and Tennant Creek airports servicing local communities and the airports, and a proposed off-aiport multi-user battery storage ein Darwin; and
- resurfacing of Alice Springs airport’s runway, taxiways and apron and installation of new runway lighting
NAIF’s ability to provide an early indication of support for these projects will accelerate their construction with the projects now scheduled to commence in early 2019.
Indigenous Engagement & Outcomes
- A commitment to a 10% Indigenous employment target.
- Development of a Procurement Plan with a focus on Indigenous employment and training opportunities. For each capital project a Project Management Team will oversee procurement activities, workforce commitments and broader partnerships with specialist Indigenous engagement experts and employment service providers, building on a previous partnership with a civil construction contractor with a 30% Indigenous workforce.
- Key Indigenous stakeholders have been identified for ongoing engagement, including the proponent looking to partner with Larrakia Development Corporation for the delivery of cultural awareness training and the exploration of other opportunities.
*The financial assistance is subject to the finalisation of the NT Government’s consideration and agreement of the approved funds to be advanced.
Economic Impact and Public Benefit
- Expected to be up to 1,000 jobs generated through the construction phase, supporting approximately 500 indirect jobs through the supply chain with over 140 new on-going positions
- Increased capacity to attract bigger planes to carry more tourists and through the freight and cold storage facilities, export the north’s distinctive products such as mud crabs, barramundi, mangoes and melons to Asia
The most recent media release relating to NAIF’s support for NT Airports can be found here.